Daiba 1-Chome Shotengai - A stroll through the Showa era

Good evening everyone! Tonight I have some time to blog, so I'm gonna take the chance haha! After talking alot about myself on my last post, I think it's nice to switch gears and introduce another interesting place in Tokyo. I really thought I would have been through all my Japan Trip 8 posts long before going back... but oh well XD

This will be the last of the Odaiba posts I have been writing in the past couple months (drew them out long enough huh?) Odaiba really is a great tourist or weekend date spot since there is a variety of attractions and lots of shopping. And Daiba 1-chome Shotengai is an interesting combination of both!

Entering Daiba 1-Chome Shotengai

Retro fun - Whoppe cushions, Kewpies and birdie water whistles!

Let's check out the bike shop XD

Daiba 1-Chome Shotengai 台場一丁目商店街 is located within the Decks shopping mall on an upper floor, and it has a special theme! It's aim is to recreate the feeling of a Showa era shopping street. The Showa era spanned from December 25, 1926, through January 7, 1989 and is nostalgic for most Japanese, and probably interesting for those who never lived through it. Specifically Daiba 1-chome Shotengai is supposed to evoke the 1950s.

The shopping in Daiba 1-chome Shotengai revolves around retro appearing items, candies and various brick a bracks. There are also many areas within the whole place that are replicas of structures as they would have looked back in the day. There is even a small Showa era house you can peer into.

Cheeky underpants for some reason (cheeky, get it? XD)

They have modern trinkets as well

 Elevators done up like a station entrance

Although I personally didn't feel anything about the decorations, shops and facades, it was a very interesting experience. I mean to see a bit of Japan's near past! I think it would be especially fun to go with someone who lived in the Showa era and ask them if they really remember the stuff in there haha.

The retro arcade

 Nummy bulk penny candy. 
I liked the "Don't Eat" sign, here in the USA people always steal "Sample" bulk candies...

I think one of the most fun areas in Daiba 1-chome Shotengai was the retro arcade, it had some games you'd find in an arcade before the digital age. Those types of "analog" games were just as entertaining so it's too bad they are mostly just in people's personal collections nowadays. I also really liked the penny candy shop! Old type candies are very cute haha.

Hungry? Tried some canned food out of the vending machine haha!

 And the old timey house

It's funny, I'd been to Odaiba so many times before but never stopped here! I think I was missing out as it's really unique when compared with the other things to do in Odaiba. And there are a ton of detail but into the building within! I didn't take enough photos so check out these nice ones to see more!

Even on the outside it has the Showa feeling!
You may also like:

I'm Sara Mari, welcome to my blog
Learn more...

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

- @xoxsaramari -

© Sara Mari - J-fashion lifestyle. Design by MangoBlogs.